Adding a new zone

Jacob Laack JLaack at alegent.org
Fri Sep 16 18:35:35 UTC 2005

My company's users found out that the .org version of our intranet site =
has been bought and is pointing to some nasty website.  We already own and =
use the .com domain for our intranet portal.  I would like to create a new =
zone for the .org domain on our internal dns servers to point to the .com =
domain.  This way we can prevent them from going to the nasty site.

I've inherited this DNS system (currently running BIND 9.2.3 on two aix =
servers) and haven't had to add a new zone before.  I duplicated the zone =
entry in named.conf, copied the db.myalegent.com file to db.myalegent.org, =
deleted all the entries, edited all the .com's to .org's, and ran "rdnc =
reload".  Unfortunately, nslookup myalegent.org doesn't work.  What am I =
doing incorrectly?  The new db.myalegent.org is here:

$ORIGIN .
$TTL 86400      ; 1 day
myalegent.org           IN SOA  DNS1.myalegent.org. jlaack.alegent.org. (
                                651        ; serial
                                10800      ; refresh (3 hours)
                                3600       ; retry (1 hour)
                                604800     ; expire (1 week)
                                86400      ; minimum (1 day)
                                )
                        NS      dns1.myalegent.org.
                        NS      dns2.myalegent.org.
                        NS      littlewill.teamalegent.com.
                        A       160.xx.xx.xx
$ORIGIN myalegent.org.
dns1            A       160.xx.xx.xx
dns2            A       160.xx.xx.xx
www             A       160.xx.xx.xx

The relevant section of named.conf is here:

zone "myalegent.org" {
        type master;
        file "db.myalegent.org";

     allow-update {