bind on bluecat's adonis 1000

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Sep 14 18:02:14 UTC 2005

At 1:13 PM -0400 2005-09-14, Terry Howell wrote:

>  Gok, we own bluecats appliances and they work great for us.  we tested
>  both vendors and found that the infoblox devices slowed to a crawl in a
>  large environment and didn't have support for key features we desired
>  (ex. bind views, something to check for errors, etc).

	I can't speak for a tool to check for errors, but I know that
Infoblox fully supports views, and I've seen some pretty impressive
performance on these things -- out-of-the-box performance in the
25,000-30,000 queries per second range for authoritative nameservice
on a large-scale domain.

	Every appliance is either a grid member or a grid master, and all
configuration is done through the master for a particular grid.  You
can update a configuration or a zone, roll that out across all the
members of the grid, have them automatically stagger their
reconfiguration process, monitor the reconfig as it is in progress
across the grid, etc....  And reconfiguration takes just a few
seconds.

	Of course, each grid master can be master of multiple grids, and
all the configuration details for the grid members is stored in the
shared database on the grid master.  A full backup of a large-scale
environment, with something on the order of 50 total grid
members/masters, large numbers of domains (some of which are quite
large themselves), etc... will all fit into just a few megabytes, and
is easily backed up to tape.

>  oh, and btw they use bind 9.2.5 and have never tried to hide it from me.

	Infoblox doesn't try to hide the which version of BIND they're
running, and they're open about the software being built with support
for threading, and the type of dual-CPU Opteron box they're running
on, etc....  They don't let you create the configuration file
manually, but you can see the whole thing on their Java Web Start
Application or on their Java Applet in your web browsers, you can
download it to your desktop, etc....

	For whatever reason, if you need a version of BIND that is built
without threading, they'll do that for you and ship you a new
firmware configuration.

	But Terry is right -- you should arrange to get at least one of
each and test them out for yourself.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755