DNS delegation based on both location and organization

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Sep 9 10:02:55 UTC 2005

At 11:52 AM +0200 2005-09-09, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

>  I respect your experience but we are not talking about 49 MX here, we
>  are talking about having more than four or five NS.

	Four or five is more than adequate for more purposes, and if
combined with long host/domain names, can still take you close to the
512 byte limits.

>  ".com" has thirteen NS (with IPv4 and IPv6 glue) and I believe that
>  someone would have noticed, if it were a problem...

	Have you ever wondered why there are just thirteen of them?  If
having as many nameservers as you want is not a problem, then why not
include all fifty-plus copes of f.root-nameservers.net?  Have you
ever wondered why they switched from using hostnames for these
machines that were appropriate to the organizations that were running
them, to the current *.root-servers.net approach?

	They knew about the truncation problem long ago.  They have gone
to great lengths to make absolute maximum possible use of domain name
compression.

	Unless you have walked a mile in their shoes, or a mile in mine,
and you have personally experienced the kinds of problems I'm talking
about when you get DNS response truncation, there's just not a whole
lot you can say on this topic that can possibly carry any weight.

	You can't possibly tell me what it's like to give birth to a
baby, because you're male and you've never done that, and you never
will.

	With regards to causing DNS response truncation, you do at least
have the possibility of being able to experience that kind of thing
first-hand, but until you've been burned in that volcano, you can't
tell me what it's like to have a trial-by-fire.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755