bind 9.1.3 Windows 2003

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Tue Sep 6 19:35:32 UTC 2005

At 09:55 AM 9/3/2005, mr_dom_is at hotmail.com wrote:
>Hi
>
>I am running Bind server 9.1.3 on Windows 2003 no service pack
>installed

Upgrade!!!

>I only have 4 SOA records, and I don't allow recursive queries.
>
>I have noticed that the named process runs at 25% CPU, which seems a
>little excessive.
>
>The machine is a dual processor power edge 1850. Xeon, so I am thinking
>this is a little strange, or it is normal
>
>Is there anyway to monitor what Bind is actually doing?

Upgrade first. Then if the problem persists, you could always run in
the foreground with debugging options turned on to see what it is
actually doing. You could also consult the logs assuming you have
logging setup. They may turn up useful information as well. But by
all means, run at least 9.2.5 or 9.3.1. I can attest to many bugs on
the Windows platform that were additionally fixed post 9.2.3.

You could be running into any myriad of bugs though including but not
limited to a DOS vulnerability in 9.1.3.

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain