Weird DNS problem

Elias elias at streamyx.com
Tue Sep 6 13:46:57 UTC 2005

Hi guys,
I've actually got more of a DNS question here rather than BIND. I'm having problems resolving certain domains when using MS DNS but have no problems resolving them using BIND. I wanted to conclude that it was a weird MS problem but when I tried the same MS machine on a different ISP line, it works. So now I'm not sure if the problem is actually a DNS (or MS) related issue or is an ISP related issue.

Microsoft DNS :
Line A (ISP A) - Fail, not able to resolve certain domains
Line B (ISP B) - No problems resolving any domain

BIND running on Fedora :
Line A (ISP A) - No problems
Line B (ISP B) - No problems

Eg of the problematic sites are www.ferrari.com and www.yahoo.co.jp. When I look them up using the MS machine, I can lookup the NS records and I can query each auth server to get an answer (so routing's not an issue right), but somehow when querying for the www records, it still fails. Now if I swap the MS machine with a Fedora machine running BIND, everything's beautiful. From here I concluded that its not the line/ISP issue. However, if I move the MS machine over to a different ISP's line, it goes back to normal and both the sites can be resolved. Weird right?

Any help or suggestions greatly2 appreciated.

p/s : both the MS and Fedora machines were directly connected to the Internet via a router with no filtering, no NAT'ing and no firewalling. And both machines were assigned the same set IP addresses (not at the same time of course) during the tests