MX query fails

Stefan Puiu stefan.puiu at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 19:38:04 UTC 2005

Well at least dnsreport.com <http://dnsreport.com> is able to find the MX
record for your zone; dig from my host also finds it, and I'm able to telnet
to the respective host on port 25.
$ dig mx mclaneco.com <http://mclaneco.com>

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> mx mclaneco.com <http://mclaneco.com>
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mclaneco.com. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mclaneco.com <http://mclaneco.com>. 600 IN MX 10
mcgw01.mclaneco.com<http://mcgw01.mclaneco.com>
.

If I dig for mcgw01..., I also get an apparently correct answer back - with
IP 12.161.66.24 <http://12.161.66.24>.

Thing is, if you scroll down in the report generated by dnsreport:

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=mclaneco.com

You'll see it says your mail server is an open relay - that's quite bad. You
should fix that.