Terminology questions (DNS, A-records, MX records, Static IP, etc)

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Mon Oct 31 18:38:48 UTC 2005

If you are not familiar with the terminology, then PLEASE do not try to
use it to describe what you want.  Instead, tell the ISP the end result
that you want, as you have so ably described.  As mentioned, most good
ISPs should be able to do what you want.  [Get references and examples.]

However, if you try and use the terminology, and YOU GET IT WRONG, then
guess what?  THEY WILL DO WHAT YOU ASK THEM TO.  And the result will be
unhappiness at both ends.  You would not believe the number of times
people who believe themselves to be "computer experts" set themselves up
for failure in just this way.

Analogy: If I take my 21st-century automobile to the shop and ask them
to clean out my carburetor and give my pistons a ring job, I will
probably get what I deserve - confusion [21st-century automobiles don't
use carburetors any more], and - if they are fool enough to do what I
ask literally without realising the extreme advanced age of the brain
that the first request showed - a car that may not even run any more.

;-)

--
Joe Yao