correct response for blocked queries?

aklist_bind at enigmedia.com aklist_bind at enigmedia.com
Mon Oct 31 15:29:52 UTC 2005

Hi All:

Bit of a newbie question...I'm just testing my setup on my 9.2.3 server
running Fedora Core2. Recursion is not allowed from outside my "local" zone.
Everything is working well.

When I dig the server (from outside my "local" network) for a
non-authoritative domain, the response is:

10/31/05 10:23:29 dig lpgk.com @ ns.enigmedia.com
Dig lpgk.com at ns.enigmedia.com (207.158.46.200) ...
Non-authoritative answer
 Query for lpgk.com type=255 class=1
Malformed name in RR

Just checking that this is the correct non-authoritative response?

FWIW, it's providing the correct response for domains for which it is
authoritative.

Is the "malformed name" the RFC-appropriate response for a blocked recursive
query?

TIA, AK