/etc/resolv.conf newbie

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Tue Oct 25 17:55:07 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 2005-October-25 00:31, Sylvan Andrew wrote:
>  Could anyone please tell me what is the best way to have a DNS
> server's own /etc/resolv.conf configured ?

I can't tell you what's best, but I can tell you what I do and why. :)

> Do you put it's own IP
> address at the top followed by public DNS / other DNS servers ? Or do

# optional, and perhaps not a good idea
# search example.net
nameserver 127.0.0.1

I don't use other nameservers. If DNS was down I would need to know
about it and fix it anyway. Having other nameservers in resolv.conf
could mask any problems you might have.

In general you can run named without experiencing any down time. If you
change your zone files, use named-checkzone(8) and "rndc reload
$ZONE_NAME". (If the zone is dynamic, don't touch the zone file, use
nsupdate(8).) If you change your named.conf, use named-checkconf(8) and
"rndc reload".
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header