Vulnerable DNS servers, RFC

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Oct 25 09:48:27 UTC 2005

At 11:24 AM +0200 2005-10-25, Florian Weimer wrote:

>  You wrote about "network security settings", and the surrounding bits
>  suggested that you were talking about firewalling, and not about BIND
>  ACL configuration.

	ACLs aren't going to help you here.  No amount of wishing or
praying is going to be able to make a single BIND process serve up
multiple different configurations on a per-IP address basis.  For
each BIND process, there is one and only one configuration file, and
while ACLs can do a lot within that configuration file, they can't do
what you're saying they can.

	But this has nothing to do with the network security settings at
your firewall.

	If you want different configurations running on different IP
addresses, that's not a problem.  Just run different copies of BIND
with different configuration files and configured to listen to
different IP addresses.

	Don't let yourself get bogged down in this mistaken believe that
a single BIND process can do everything you ever wanted.

>>  	There's a certain amount of trust relationship, yes.  But it's
>>  minimal,
>
>  It may be minimal, but it's still quite significant.

	Not necessarily.  For one thing, the authoritative only server
could use a separate recursive resolver, and not the same one that
every one else uses -- perhaps a private recursive-only resolver that
listens only to 127.0.0.1:53.  For another, you should minimize the
amount of information on the external nameserver in your DMZ, and
make sure that your internal recursive-only nameserver uses a
different internal authoritative-only nameserver to serve up data for
your own zones.

	Neither of these nameservers need necessarily have much of any
trust relationship between them.

	And just because you don't have this configuration, you shouldn't
be trying to force everyone else to run with the same broken
configuration you've got.

>>  and doesn't require that you have the same accounts, the same user
>>  authentication database, etc....  Just because you've managed to
>>  hack root password on one machine should not make the other machine
>>  any more vulnerable than it was before.
>
>  But it is, if you use any protocol that implicitly trusts DNS (and who
>  doesn't?).

	Well, ssh doesn't.  I mean, it might connect you to a given IP
address based on the information from the DNS, but if you've got it
configured correctly it will be checking crypto keys once it's
connected, and if the name/ip is the same but the key isn't, then it
will tell you.

	Do everything to your machines in the DMZ via crypto-aware
applications like ssh, and potential weaknesses in the DNS should be
less dangerous.

>  I think you are Wrong.  There could be an option to apply the filters
>  which are applied to zones received over the zone file transfer
>  protocol to those which are loaded from disk.  This is not strictly
>  necessary, of course, but BIND can actually help you to do something
>  about this problem.

	Excuse me?  Which copy of BIND do you have that magically
sanitizes everything it reads?  Where is the copy of BIND that has a
"DWIM" button and knows what you really want as opposed to what you
told it to do, and does the right thing?

	In authoritative-only mode, BIND does only what *YOU*, the DNS
Administrator, tell it to do.  If you can't manage your data
securely, then there is a real possibility that BIND may be serving
out bogus data.  But there's absolutely nothing that BIND can do to
fix this problem -- you've got to fix your data management problem.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755