W2k MASTER and Solaris BIND slave

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Oct 24 20:59:37 UTC 2005

Rajesh Bandar wrote:

>Hi all,
>Can I run BIND9 DNS as slave for Active Directory domain controllers
>master. Can Win2k server transfer zones to BIND9 DNS server which is
>running on a Solaris box? I maintain unix servers and we have been
>having DNS issues with windows domain controllers. Since I dont have
>any control on windows domain controllers I want to run BIND on one of
>the solaris boxes and planning to ask the parent server admin to
>delegate the Unix server as one of the authoritative server. Domain
>controller is the master server and Sun box will be the slave server.
>My only worry is will Windows domain controller transfer zones to BIND
>DNS running on a solaris box.

The short answer is: yes.

We run both styles of AD-co-operation here, i.e. where the Domain
Controllers write directly into a BIND-controlled zone via Dynamic
Update, and where the zone is hosted in AD and the BIND servers are just
slaves to the Domain Controllers. Those BIND servers are Solaris, by the
way...

                                             - Kevin