Odd problems trying to make use of libbind as a replacement resolver...

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Oct 18 12:12:20 UTC 2005

At 6:31 PM +1000 2005-10-18, A Humble Bind User wrote:

>                             One casualty of "Open Source" is the
>lack of formal
>  design documentation in advance of the first line of code.  The Sleepycat DB
>  library as Paul mentioned is a model exception of course, but most
>of the time
>  "read the source" is the rule of the game when it comes time for
>  "documentation", which is just plain awful.

	With regards to BIND itself, there is a very large amount of very
high quality documentation available, most of it from Paul Albitz and
Cricket Liu, in their various books on the subject.

	However, when you're talking about the resolver library, that is
systems programming territory, and pretty much the exclusive purview
of the individuals at the vendor who is maintaining that code.  And
they had damn well better be reading the code itself and know
backwards and forwards what it is really doing inside, as compared to
whatever the documentation claims.

>  I'm not asking for anyone to "solve my problems for me"...  After
>15+ years of
>  development, and pretenses of a "standardised UNIX platform", I would have
>  thought such a core component would be converging towards some standardised
>  behaviour.

	When have you ever known anything in this industry to move
towards a "One True Model" of anything, especially in the open
source/free software community, and most especially when that
community is responsible for maintaining current code where previous
generations were cannibalized and incorporated into systems libraries
in virtually every OS on the planet?

	Can you even point to a single instance where this has happened?
You can't use gcc as the model, because pretty much all the vendors
who use gcc contribute their work back to the FSF, and use the
version provided by the FSF as their standard system compiler.  You
can't use sendmail as the model, because there are now a wide variety
of MTAs available, and again most OSes that use sendmail take the
standard version as provided by the open-source project.

	BIND is the only case in the world (that I know of) where this
has happened.  And each vendor has clearly gone off on their own
separate route afterwards.  It's simply not possible to reverse that
process.

>  All said, it was a hope borne of some encouraging signs that the BIND9
>  project was a stab at "cleaning house" and building a name server
>  infrastructure that is maintainable and extensible without risking
>  disaster after each new feature.

	On the server side, this has happened.  On the library side,
you're talking about code that is too deeply embedded in virtually
every OS on the planet, and you can't just casually rip that out.
Heck, you can't even come up with a general-purpose replacement,
because each vendor has extended that code in their own (usually
proprietary) way.

>  I was asking questions, not demanding solutions.

	That's not the impression I was getting.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755