resolving differently depending on location?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Oct 17 23:51:14 UTC 2005

Kevin Darcy wrote:

>Barry Margolin wrote:
>

>>In article <dj17cv$2hks$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>>Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>>

>>>BIND *does* however, have support for "sortlist". One can have the name
>>>resolve to all of the location-specific IPs, and then sort them
>>>according to the source IP of the DNS client. This only works
>>>*reliably*, however, when the sortlist configuration of all resolvers is
>>>tightly controlled.
>>>

>>Right, so it's useless for a public web site.
>>

>The OP specified a "global intranet". That's what I deal with here, and
>we use sortlist quite effectively. The hardest part is keeping all of
>the servers' sortlist definitions current, but we're working on
>automating it...

Just to flog this a little more, I forgot to mention that the sortlist
approach is *not* appropriate for apps where the client piece does
automatic address failover, but which, on the server side, simply cannot
tolerate a client connecting to the wrong server. I have yet to run
across such an app, but I'll put that caveat out there nonetheless...

                                                   - Kevin