named and high CPU utilization

Radu "Ux" D. raduda at itcnetworks.ro
Thu Oct 13 16:04:31 UTC 2005

Hi

The named (not very high loaded one) goes taking 100% CPU and can't be
stopped in an usual fashion. The same named configuration, on other
machine, doesn't behaves like this. It seems that this is only occurring
on Windows systems with dual cpu’s. I did find a forum online for a
software called Plesk that uses named.exe that has the same issue and
the fix that they applied was to assign cpu affinity to named.exe in the
code. Windows will allow you to assign cpu affinity through task manager
but it won’t allow you to assign affinity to a service! The following is
taken from the Plesk forum:

"Bind is configured to work on 1 CPU and it makes it do not waste CPU
resources."

Also I pulled the following from the Oreilly windows 2000 performance guide:

"It should not be a big surprise to learn that one secondary effect of
multiprocessor coordination and serialization is that it makes caching
less effective. This, in turn, reduces the processor's instruction
execution rate. To understand why SMPs impact cache effectiveness, we
soon take a detour into the realm of cache coherence. From a
configuration and tuning perspective, one intended effect of setting up
an application to run with processor affinity is to improve cache
effectiveness and increase the instruction execution rate. Direct
measurements of both instruction execution rate and caching efficiency,
fortunately, are available via the Pentium counters."

Anyone encountered something like this? Any idea?

--
Thx

Radu "Ux" D.