Dynamic Updates : filter hostnames

kriskaido at gmail.com kriskaido at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 13:31:07 UTC 2005

Hi,

I implemented a BIND server for my company and all PCs are DHCP enabled
with dynamic IP addresses and dynamic DNS updates in BIND. In brief,
each workstation receives its dynamic IP address via DHCP, and updates
its name into BIND.

This is OK, but the problem is that I'd like to filter which hostnames
are being introduced in my zone files.

For example, the workstation name "workstation003.internal.example.com"
is OK, it updates its A record in the  "internal.example.com.hosts"
file, and its IP address 192.168.1.1 in "192.168.rev.hosts" file.

But when a computer boots on the network with the following name and
the same IP address as above : "blablafoohostname.zozo.google.xxx", the
update in the zozo.google.xxx obviously fails, but it updates the
192.168.rev.hosts file with 192.168.1.1 and in that file we have
something like this :

$ORIGIN 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
$TTL 1200
1    PTR      workstation003.internal.example.com.
     PTR      blablafoohostname.zozo.google.xxx.

which is obviously wrong and shouldn't happen, but I'd like to force
the update process by saying to BIND "If you receive an update for
something else than a hostname like 'worksation*.internal.example.com',
drop it !".

How can I achieve this ? Is it possible ?

I have another question. Is it possible for BIND to remove addresses in
its zone files after some time ? Or is it possible for BIND to allow
only ONE hostname per IP address to be written in the zone files?

Any help will be very appreciated,

Thanks,

Kris.