Setting up My own Dyn DNS Servers

Chris Hills chaz at chaz6.com
Tue Oct 11 13:17:43 UTC 2005

Vic Herrera wrote:
> Ok,
> After an hour of googling (sp) I am having trouble finding some decent howto's on setting up your own Dyn DNS server and Clients. Everything is proprietary or the clients cost money or something.
>
> The scenario is , I have a webserver at a given location, running Win2k pro, running a web enabled DVR system. The clients typically have a DSL line connected with a cheap router doing a little port forwarding.
>
> I have a domain and server I will only use for that, I have the bind 9 server up and running and I need a client and a howto that will allow me to define the server and a key or some type of auth.
>
> Does anyone know of a client and howto that might be of help in this situation?
>
> Thanks
>
> Vic

Vic

I currently use BIND9 in conjunction with Direct Update to provide
dynamic dns services using TSIG to secure the updates. What I do not
have, however, is an automated system to manage the generation and
distribution of tsig keys, as well as the bind update rules. I do this
by hand.

Regards

Chris