Changing SOA & DNS server for an Active Directory DDNS zone

Andy Blanchard andyb at giganews.com
Mon Oct 10 17:08:17 UTC 2005

Does anyone have any ideas on the smoothest method of migrating the
SOA and owner of the writable data for a dynamic Windows AD domain
between two BIND v9.x servers?  I don't seem to be having much luck
with finding a definitive answer to this one, and the best I have so
far is as follows:

Stop the DNS server on the current master (to flush pending updates)
Stop the DNS server on the intended master (ditto)
Copy the zone file from the current master to the replacement

Then, on the new master:

   Change the SOA record and increment the serial number by hand
   Change "named.conf" to reflect the new status
   Restart BIND

And on the old master, and the other slaves:

   Change "named.conf" to slave the zone from the new master server
   Restart BIND / reload the BIND configuration

That *seems* to cover everything from the point of view of BIND, but
is there anything else I should be doing, and are there any changes
that need to be made to the Windows' domain controllers?

Thanks in advance,
Andy