Bind on MAC OS X

Marc Majka majka at apple.com
Thu Oct 6 22:52:08 UTC 2005

Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" includes named from BIND 9.2.2.  You can get
the original BIND sources from ISC (http://www.isc.org/), or you can
get the source as used in Mac OS X from http://
darwinsource.opendarwin.org/10.4.2/bind9-11/.

While the DNS server (/usr/sbin/named) comes pretty well straight out
of the box from the BIND sources, it is worthwhile noting that Mac OS
X has a lot more than just the BIND resolver involved on the client
side of host name/address resolution.  APIs like gethostbyname(),
gethostbyaddr(), getaddrinfo(), and so on are actually handled behind
the main system library by a daemon that can search multiple
information services to resolve name or address queries.  The daemon
- named lookupd - can search /etc/hosts, NIS, DNS, NetInfo, and
potentially other services.  It also maintains a cache for better
system performance.  See the lookupd(8) man page for details.

Mac OS X also supports multiple DNS client resolvers.  Think of this
as having many different versions of /etc/resolv.conf files.  A
routing strategy uses one or more of these configurations depending
on the name (or address) in any given query.  See the resolver(5) man
page for details.  This dovetails with Apple's "Bonjour" system,
which includes support for multicast DNS.  Bonjour is more widely
known for its role in plug-and-play / zero configuration networking
and service discovery, but it turns out that every Mac OS X system
runs a multicast DNS responder which allows every host to reply to
multicast DNS queries for its own name or address - as well as a lot
of other useful information.

--
Marc Majka