rndc reconfig causing long timeouts

Dave Clark bind-users at dollardns.net
Tue Oct 4 13:49:08 UTC 2005

The security is confirmed by rndc.key or rndc.conf.  Nobody would be allowed
to execute 'rndc stop' for example cause rndc wouldn't be able to read those
files to communicate with BIND.  Same security is applied to custom paths on
rndc reconfig/reload.  If I'm missing the point on where it is insecure,
please go into detail.

The "rndc reconfig" without a path is part of what we're trying to avoid.
It processes the entire configuration which may be extensive and take more
time than a selective reconfig on systems with a massive config.  The rsync
or ftp would also advantage from the trick I'm proposing.  You do not have
to transfer the entire configuration to the slave servers.  You only need to
transfer one of the distributed configuration files and have BIND reload
that specific part of the configuration, which will of course need to be
included by named.conf so that the configuration is persistent beyond a
server restart.

Dave