migrating ns1/master to hidden master with additional secondary

Tavis Gustafson tavis at hq.newdream.net
Mon Oct 3 21:33:13 UTC 2005

Since it seems people still don't have much luck with multi-threading +
linux, I think we'll be going to the hidden master setup.  To do this
we'll need to migrate our current master/ns1 hardware to be the hidden
master and move ns1 ip to a new secondary machine.

In our current setup new zones go like this : New zone file gets put on
master and master zone file updated + rndc reconfig (reconfig causes
timeouts from ns1 = bad)
Once the master is done it notifies the two secondaries (ns2, ns3) which
are listed in each zone file (default behaviour). ns1 is also in the
zone file as NS but it's skipped because the master is ns1.

Our NEW setup would go : Update master zone files on hidden master + do
reconfig (no timeouts because it's not ns1 anymore)
Then notify all three nameservers listed in zone files (ns1,ns2,ns3)

My question is how to do this ip migration smoothly and what are the
many pitfalls I am not foreseeing in splitting ns1/master stuff.

Thanks for any advice.

--
      ___
     /\__\