where to post questions for DHCP ?

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Mon Oct 3 19:23:33 UTC 2005

d.minix at gmail.com wrote:
> hi all,

Hi Madam,
in this list members are used to address each other with real names.

> could you show me an apropriate group/list where I could post
> questions specific to DHCP.
>
> I need to give an IP to some machine depending on the port used
> on the switch, and not regarding the MAC address.

problem 1)

Neither bind nor dhcpd know about switches and ports.

problem 2)

There is no easy way to teach them.

Workaround:

Create VLANs on the switch, with every port on a different
VLAN. Connect the DHCP-server to a trunk port. Create
virtual interfaces on the DHCP-server and put each of them
into a different subnet.

Write your own programme:

For every client that queries an ip address
    look into the switch into every port into the MAC-list
       find the MAC. Now you have found the port

Assign an ip address from the port.

I dont think it makes sense to build this algorithm into
DHCPd because every switch is different.

Regards,
Peter and Karin Dambier

--
Peter and Karin Dambier