Zone transfer problem from master to slave

Kurt Boyack kboyack at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 16:41:14 UTC 2005

On 10/1/05, Solaris2005 <rajeshbreddy2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> When I make any changes to a zone file on the master
> server (serial number increased), the changes are not
> getting transfered to Slave server.

You have the transfer-source and notify-source set to the same IP on
both your master and slave servers. You probably do not need to
specify transfer-source or notify-source on either of them. Removing
those options might solve your problem.

> zone "au.ap.abnamro.com" {
>         type master;
>         file
> "/var/named/master/au.domainname.com.hosts";
>         allow-transfer { "slaves"; };
>         };

Is your file really named au.domainname.com.hosts? I would name this
"db.au.ap.abnamro.com". This could also be your problem, but in this
case you would not be able to resolve names on the master either.

Also, you do not have to specify the working directory here. You can
remove the "/var/named/" from the file statement.

> zone "131.251.134.in-addr.arpa" {
>         type master;
>         file "/var/named/master/134.251.131.rev";
>         allow-transfer { "slaves"; };
>         };

The zone should be "134.251.131.in-addr.arpa" and I would name the
file "db.131.251.134".

> named.conf on slave:
>
> zone "au.ap.abnamro.com" {
>         type slave;
> file "/var/named/slave/au.domainname.com.slave";
>         masters { 134.251.131.50; };
>         transfer-source 134.251.131.50;
>         };

The transfer-source statements in the zone are redundant since you had
already specified them in the global options. The "master" statement
tells the slave where to get the zone from. The "transfer-source"
statement tells the slave which IP address it should use to transfer a
zone. In other words, which IP on the slave should be used to transfer
a zone "to" another server.

You should make your named.conf files as simple as possible until you
get them working, then add options as needed from there.