host command bug?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Mon Nov 28 19:32:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 10:28:30AM -0800, Mark Foster wrote:
> I may have discovered a bug in the host command.
> I have a zone with 7 nameservers (NS records).
> Using host -t ns zonename shows all 7 records.
> [mf1 at host1 ~]$ host -t ns 45.10.in-addr.arpa | wc -l
> 7
>
> Using host -C zonename consistently shows only up to 6 name servers.
> [mf1 at host1 ~]$ host -C 45.10.in-addr.arpa | grep Nameserver | wc -l
> 6
>
> I have verified this with multiple zones and NS combinations.
> Why the limitation?
>
> Versions: bind 9.2.4 on Debian sarge and CentOS-3

It looks to me like '-t ns' will read from ONE name server and list all
the NS records found on that one name server, while '-C' tries to read
an SOA record from each name server listed in an NS record.  I don't see
defined what the result should be if one times out or the name server is
not available.

--
Joe Yao