dhcp ddns nubie

Sten Carlsen ccc2716 at vip.cybercity.dk
Fri Nov 18 19:21:47 UTC 2005

Just one piece of advice that cost me a weekend.
DON'T use .local, use anything else. Apple is using .local for their
rendevouz system. I had my rfc1918 addresses organised in .local, the
result was that my new MAC was almost not working and was certainly not
visible from anywhere. After a long digging I discovered that .local had
this special meaning and changed everything to .home and everything
started working as expected.

At the moment I use views to have the same names inside my lan as I have
on the outside, with the only difference that addresses seen from inside
are rfc1918 and on the outside are assigned by my ISP. All my hostnames
end in .dk, I have never seem any bad effect of using .dk TLD both
inside and outside.

In terms of OSs you could use the same box to run bind and dhcp with
windows or solaris10. I will not  recommend any of them, personally I
use Linux (Redhat/Fedora) for this (uptime so far: 484 days).

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen

Let HIM who has an empty INBOX send the first mail.