[cache poisoning][last bind version vulnerable][security mechanism]

Daniel Migault daniel.migault at francetelecom.com
Wed Nov 16 09:34:08 UTC 2005

Hi,
I am pretty new in the Bind and security issues, and rigth now I am
looking at the DNS cache poisoning attack.

I used the dnsa program written by Pierre Betouin. We used BIND 9.3, and
found that this version is not vulnerable to cache poisoning attacks. So
my questions are :

1. Do you know BIND last version which is cache poisoning vulnerable?
2. What kind of mechanisms BIND use to counter this attack. Is-it not
caching "additional data" not related to the request, or is it something
else?

I looked at  :

http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/bind-security.php
, but didn't find answers to my questions.

Regards,

Daniel

Daniel Migault
France Télécom R&D