resolv problems

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Nov 11 01:12:08 UTC 2005

In article <dl0m68$i6o$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "garyarm" <aspambucket at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Background:
> My website is hosted externally at an ISP. I run bind on a Solaris 8
> machine on my local lan, mostly so that desktop PCs can find services
> on several Solaris machines. I'm in the process of switching webhosting
> ISPs, so I'm right about at the 48 hour window.
>
> Problem:
> Several apps on my Solaris machines don't seem to be able to resolve
> URLs. They seem to want to find my domain. Dig and nslookup return the
> correct IPs, but even they aren't entirely good. For example:
>
> dig ns5.yahoo.com -> works
> dig @ns5.yahoo.com ns5.yahoo.com -> no servers could be reached.
> dig @216.109.116.17 ns5.yahoo.com -> works

I suspect you have something ahead of dns in your nsswitch.conf.  The
generic name service switch (i.e. the gethostbyname() function) is used
for resolving the name after @ in a dig command.

> I believe it has something to do with my domain because:
>
> wget yahoo.com states:
> Connecting to yahoo.com|xx.xx.xx.xx.|:80 ... connected. Then errors Not
> Found.
>
> That xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP for the machine hosting my website. If I use
> yahoo's IP address wget works.

Again, the name service switch is used to resolve hostnames, and it's
using something else before trying DNS.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA