resolv problems

garyarm aspambucket at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 23:29:55 UTC 2005

Background:
My website is hosted externally at an ISP. I run bind on a Solaris 8
machine on my local lan, mostly so that desktop PCs can find services
on several Solaris machines. I'm in the process of switching webhosting
ISPs, so I'm right about at the 48 hour window.

Problem:
Several apps on my Solaris machines don't seem to be able to resolve
URLs. They seem to want to find my domain. Dig and nslookup return the
correct IPs, but even they aren't entirely good. For example:

dig ns5.yahoo.com -> works
dig @ns5.yahoo.com ns5.yahoo.com -> no servers could be reached.
dig @216.109.116.17 ns5.yahoo.com -> works

I believe it has something to do with my domain because:

wget yahoo.com states:
Connecting to yahoo.com|xx.xx.xx.xx.|:80 ... connected. Then errors Not
Found.

That xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP for the machine hosting my website. If I use
yahoo's IP address wget works.

I've been configured like this at a couple of ISPs. The only difference
from my view is that my webhosting ISP is different then my access ISP.

I could use an idea where to look or what could cause this.

Thanks for your time
Gary