Response code 15 from BIND8?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Nov 10 23:28:41 UTC 2005

Hmmm... Fascinating. That nameserver seems to be rather broken, or using
a non-standards-defined RCODE for its own purposes. It's interesting
that it would only give this strange RCODE on a non-recursive query,
but, then again, since it's not a delegated nameserver for otenet.gr,
why would it expect anyone on the Internet to query it non-recursively
for that domain?

My expectation would be that named would treat this as basically
equivalent to a SERVFAIL response. It's not safe to treat it as anything
other than that, since one doesn't know whether one can trust any of the
other contents of the response.

                                             - Kevin