Preloading the cache

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Nov 9 23:23:14 UTC 2005

Martija, Ricardo wrote:

>Hi,
>

>I am new to DNS and BIND. I went through the FAQs but could not find
>information on how to preload the cache with information. Can someone
>tell me?
>
>BTW, I am using BIND 9.

Well, it depends on what you mean "the cache". Some people still use
that to refer to the "hints" information. With BIND 9, you can define a
zone of type "hint", and the information in the zone file will be used
for contacting the root servers to ask about root-zone information (once
the real information from the root servers is seen and remembered, then
the hints information is not used any more until the nameserver is
restarted).

Hints information is, however, restricted to only the root zone, and
only the root NS records and their associated A records. You can't just
put arbitrary information in the hints file.

If by "the cache" you mean the temporary storage of DNS data, as an
optimization so that named doesn't have to keep fetching the same data
over and over from authoritative nameservers, referrers and/or
forwarders, BIND does not provide any facility for putting arbitrary
information into "the cache". All of the information that gets in there
does so from answers to queries that named has previously made.

                                                                     - Kevin