2 zone files for one domain?

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Mon Nov 7 18:45:12 UTC 2005

> To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
> From: "silijim" <starr.jim at gmail.com>
> Subject: 2 zone files for one domain?
> Date: 6 Nov 2005 21:40:08 -0800
>
> How can I set up a BIND server (on a RHEL AS 4.1 system) so that I can
> have additional entries for a zone that is mastered on another
> computer?

Greetings:

First you REALLY, REALLY do NOT want to go there.  It will cause long
term problems with the domain as well as problems with
maintainability.  You should really try and find out what it takes to
get the other DNS admin to do the proper updates.

Having offered, gratis, that piece of advice, just set your machines up
as a master for the domain and point your clients at your new master
server in /etc/resolv.conf.

Update away...

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

> I have no control over the my company's DNS server but I would like to
> set up server that would provide additional name records for a single
> domain (the guy who runs the DNS won't update it with new names that I
> would like to have).  I do have control over the clients and can point
> them to my server instead of his but I still need his server's data.
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems
555 River Oaks Pkwy
San Jose, CA 95134

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin