2 Basic BIND questions...

msis at bombersman.com msis at bombersman.com
Sun May 29 13:56:43 UTC 2005

G'day all,

I have two questions regarding configuration for bind 9. I want to be
able to alias an outside host using bind. In my hosts file i have this:

1.2.3.4   server   server.domainexternal.com

My domain however is inside my local network, whereas domain external
is on the internet. I would just like to know where to put an alias for
this server in my DNS configuration so that it has the same
functionality as the hosts file.

Secondly, i was wondering if there was a way to override the TTL that
websites have for thier DNS records, i.e. google.com may have a 500
second TTL, but that seems to be pretty quick and sort of negates the
idea behind a caching nameserver. Is this possible?

Cheers,

Craig Thornton.