1 second delay - more detail and specifics

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon May 30 15:48:33 UTC 2005

At 10:15 AM -0500 2005-05-30, Wayne Walker wrote:

>  If I do "time host db" it takes 1.024 seconds when pointed to 127.0.0.1.
>  If I do "time host db.gns.gnumber.com" it takes 0.012 seconds when
>pointed to 127.0.0.1.
>  Why the big delta????? search gns.gnumber.com should make these lookups
>  identical, or make it two lookups.

	The differences are almost certainly in the resolver library, not
the server.  Try running the test under "truss", "ktrace", "strace",
or other system/library call tracking packages, and they might be
able to give you some more detailed information as to exactly what is
going on and where.

	Also, the OS version you're running under might make a difference
(e.g., Apple seriously broke the resolver code when they added some
proprietary multicast DNS stuff, and they have not yet fixed what
they broke in the process).  Did you provide this information
previously?

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755