Problem resolving www.futureshop.ca

Lawrence Houston bind at greenfield.dyndns.org
Sat May 28 15:20:00 UTC 2005

On 27 May 2005, Ronan Flood wrote:

> On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:35:57 -0400 (EDT),
> Lawrence Houston <bind at greenfield.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
> > My Routing to dns1.cidc.telus.com/dns2.cidc.telus.com may well be the
> > issue since Traceroute does NOT reach its destination, with an unusually
> > high number of steps through Telus "LAND":
>
> Looks the same from here, but I can still query those servers;
> can query both over UDP, but only dns1 over TCP.
>
> Can you query dns1 over TCP?  Might point to a UDP problem.
>
> dig @216.123.224.131 www.futureshop.ca. +norec +vc

Although neither dns1 or dns2 generate a response via TCP, the error
generated (and time delay) are different.  Curiously the delay for the TCP
Request to DNS1 is quite short, while the TCP Request to DNS2 takes longer
(similar to the delays for UDP Requests to both Nameservers):

DNS1
dig @216.123.224.131 www.futureshop.ca. +norec +vc
;; communications error to 216.123.224.131#53: end of file

DNS2
dig @66.203.199.203 www.futureshop.ca. +norec +vc

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @66.203.199.203 www.futureshop.ca. +norec +vc
;; global options:  printcmd

With the errors generated while using UDP matching the TCP request made to
DNS2???

Lawrence Houston  --  (bind at greenfield.dyndns.org)