question about resolution

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed May 25 00:52:18 UTC 2005

I seem to recall that BIND 8 complained when the real root server
information differed from what was in the hints file (see item #421 in
the BIND 8 "CHANGES" file: "warn when the root hints do not match
reality"), but I haven't seen any error messages to that effect for a
while, so I guess folks found that too annoying and for BIND 9 they
removed that error message.

I suppose you could run a script periodically that would validate your
hints file against what the root servers are actually returning, or
against the "official" hints file available via anonymous FTP from
ftp.internic.net (pathname /domain/db.cache).

                                                         - Kevin