Partial local dns information - can I do this?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat May 21 06:01:43 UTC 2005

In article <d6kpn4$1p1j$1 at sf1.isc.org>, G 0kita <goo13c at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Make dns.cluster authoritative for the zones named c.organization and
> > d.organization:
>
> Thanks for the response Barry.  The thing is that I have about 20 or
> so individual machines (in the *.organization domain) I'd like to have
> information for on the local dns.cluster.  I think I wasn't very clear
> originally, let's try this again.  :)
>
> request for machine1.cluster -> dns.cluster
> Normal
> request for machine2.organization -> dns.cluster -> dns.organization
> Normal

You were perfectly clear the first time.  You're not the first person
who has asked about this, it comes up every couple of weeks.

> request for machine3.organization -> dns.cluster
> I've got several machines like machine3 which I'd like dns.cluster to
> have information for, some of which appear in dns.organization's lists
> and some of which don't.
> If I understand your suggestion properly, I could get around this by
> making authoritative zones for each machine and then the rest of the
> requests for machine*.organization would go on to dns.organization.

Correct.

> - Won't the zone database for a machine3.organization zone have
> problems using a NS record of dns.cluster?

What kind of problem?

> - Seems like a lot of zones to have if each machine needs one.

Yes.  If you have lots of these, you could write a simple script that
creates all the zone files, since they'll all follow a common template.

> - What I'd like to have is a ".organization" zone in dns.cluster which
> has local information _but_ also asks out to dns.organization if it
> doesn't have it locally.

Unfortunately, BIND doesn't work that way.  If there's a .organization
zone, then the server will be authoritative for the entire zone and
won't forward queries within it to another server (except for delegated
subdomains).

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA