not listening on tcp

Maria Iano maria at iano.org
Fri May 20 18:42:19 UTC 2005

I recently upgraded to Bind 9.3.1 on some servers running Red Hat Linux release 8.0 (Psyche). A few days later, one of the servers suddnly stopped listening to tcp port 53 on one of its interfaces. It continued listening to udp port 53. I have found that when I restart Bind on these servers, sometimes it starts listening on both tcp and udp on all interfaces as it should, and sometimes on one of the interfaces it listens on only udp. The loopback interface never seems to have a problem, but always seems to listen on both tcp and udp. It is only the non-loopback interfaces that have this problem. I haven't tested this by restarting Bind more than about 10 times, but it seems to be that it alternates.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Thanks,
Maria