Partial local dns information - can I do this?

G 0kita goo13c at gmail.com
Thu May 19 14:32:27 UTC 2005

Let me explain the situation.  I've got a semi-autonomous computer
cluster within a larger organization.  I'm running bind inside this
cluster serving information about the machines within the cluster.=20
That part works just fine.
What I'd like to do is have another zone that is non-authoritative
which contains dns information for _some_ machines in the larger
organization and sends along requests for the rest to the main dns
server.

request for a.cluster  -> dns.cluster
Perfectly normal behaviour.

request for b.organization -> dns.cluster  -> dns.organization
Also pretty normal if b.organization isn't in a dns.cluster zone.

request for c.organization -> dns.cluster
request for d.organization -> dns.cluster
This is less normal.  Basically I want dns.cluster to be able to
respond to a request for c.organization and d.organization without
going out to the authoritative dns.organization server.
I could of course run a dig on dns.cluster out to dns.organization to
periodically populate the local cache but this is more of a problem
because while dns.organization has information about c.organization,
dns.organization _doesn't_ have information about d.organization -
that's only on dns.cluster.

Can this be done?
And before someone says it's there's no need for this kind of
situation, it _is_ what I'm looking for.  In discussions with the dns
maintainer, d.organization belongs in the .organization zone, but
should _not_ show up normally (should only be known to the cluster).
I could place this information in the /etc/hosts file, but I'd really
like to do it at a central dns.cluster server rather than have to
propogate the information to all the machines in the cluster.
I don't want run a slave server as I really only need about a dozen
records from dns.organization and I don't want to have to ask for zone
transfers.
As for the request for c.organization above, that's just gravy - I
want to create local information to make keep outgoing requests to a
minimum.

I'm running BIND 9.2.3 untweaked on OpenBSD 3.6