BIND 9.3.1 Cache Server Optimization

Joe Shen jshen.cad at gmail.com
Mon May 16 03:15:13 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm setting up a DNS cache server which will serve all our customers.=20

The server is built with BIND9.3.1 on Solaris. Searching archivement
of this list, I disbale IPv6 in source code compilation and start
named with -n option; with BIND configuration, cleaning-interval is
set to 0.

To monitor the performance & successful rate of this server, a program
'dig' two domain names ( www.nba.com, www.the-sun.com )20 time per 5
minutes. It is found that the successful rate of the new cache server
is much lower than some other Cache servers. In past 48 hours,  the
new cache server failed to answer 5.93% resolution requests of
www.nba.com, while the figure of some other cache server is only
1.46%.

Would anybody do some recommendation to improve the successful rate?

Each word will be highly appreciated.

Joe