Resolution of names from another server not propagating

tsreyb at yahoo.com tsreyb at yahoo.com
Fri May 13 15:28:11 UTC 2005

I'm not sure of the proper terminology, so my description of this
problem may be off-base a bit. I'll try my best :)

I have two name servers, A and B. Nameserver B is the master for a
particular zone (subset of A's zone) and is supposed to feed its
results to nameserver A. The domain of A is 'MAIHAG.com' and the domain
for which B is a master is 'ite.MAIHAG.com'.

Computers pointing to B as their primary DNS server are able to
successfully resolve all hostnames within that zone.

However, computers using A as a nameserver are not able to resolve
anything from B's zone. Why?

  NOTE: A's own IP is 192.168.254.251

  NOTE: B's own IP is 10.1.245.251

The relevant zone section from A's named.conf pointing to B is:

zone "ite.MAIHAG.com" {
        type slave;
        file "stub.ite.MAIHAG.com";
        masters { 10.1.245.251; };
        zone-statistics yes;
};

And the entire named.conf from B is:

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        forwarders{
                192.168.254.251;
        };
};
zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "named.ca";
};
zone "ite.MAIHAG.com"{
        type master;
        file "db.ite.MAIHAG.com";
        notify yes;
        allow-transfer { 10.99.10.20; 10.99.10.21; 192.168.254.251; };
};
zone "qaMAIHAG.com"{
        type master;
        file "db.qaMAIHAG.com";
};
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa"{
        type master;
        file "named.local";
};
zone "1.10.in-addr.arpa"{
        type master;
        file "db.10.1";
        notify yes;
};
zone "2.10.in-addr.arpa"{
        type master;
        file "db.10.2";
};
zone "1.222.in-addr.arpa"{
        type master;
        file "db.222.1";
};
zone "4.10.in-addr.arpa"{
        type master;
        file "db.10.4";
};

Now, using nslookup with debug enabled and pointing to server A, I get
the following result:

> set debug
> scmbag.ite.MAIHAG.com
Server:  turtle.eng.MAIHAG.com
Address:  192.168.254.251

;; res_mkquery(0, scmbag.ite.MAIHAG.com, 1, 1)
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 45136, rcode = SERVFAIL
        header flags:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 0,
additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        scmbag.ite.MAIHAG.com, type = A, class = IN

------------
;; res_mkquery(0, scmbag.ite.MAIHAG.com.eng.MAIHAG.com, 1, 1)
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 45137, rcode = NXDOMAIN
        header flags:  response, auth. answer, want recursion,
recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 1,
additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        scmbag.ite.MAIHAG.com.eng.MAIHAG.com, type = A, class = IN
    AUTHORITY RECORDS:
    ->  eng.MAIHAG.com
        ttl = 86400 (1D)
        origin = turtle.eng.MAIHAG.com
        mail addr = maihag.eng.MAIHAG.com
        serial = 2005051359
        refresh = 10800 (3H)
        retry   = 3600 (1H)
        expire  = 604800 (1W)
        minimum ttl = 86400 (1D)

------------
;; res_mkquery(0, scmbag.ite.MAIHAG.com.MAIHAG.com, 1, 1)
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 45138, rcode = NXDOMAIN
        header flags:  response, auth. answer, want recursion,
recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 1,
additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        scmbag.ite.MAIHAG.com.MAIHAG.com, type = A, class = IN
    AUTHORITY RECORDS:
    ->  MAIHAG.com
        ttl = 3600 (1H)
        origin = hqdc01.MAIHAG.com
        mail addr = dns.MAIHAG.com
        serial = 2821265003
        refresh = 3600 (1H)
        retry   = 600 (10M)
        expire  = 86400 (1D)
        minimum ttl = 3600 (1H)

------------
;; res_mkquery(0, scmbag.ite.MAIHAG.com.ite.MAIHAG.com, 1, 1)
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 45139, rcode = SERVFAIL
        header flags:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 0,
additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        scmbag.ite.MAIHAG.com.ite.MAIHAG.com, type = A, class = IN

*** turtle.eng.MAIHAG.com can't find scmbag.ite.MAIHAG.com: Server
failed

Thanks,
-Bob
 Andover, MA