newb ? serial number out of sync

Mike Schrauder MIKES at specialtyblades.com
Thu May 12 19:16:36 UTC 2005

I found the answer in an O'Reilly book on BIND.  Wanted to share the
answer.  I haven't tested it yet, but assume it will work.

If your zone serial number is 25,000 and you want to start numbering at
1 again, you can speed through the serial number space in two steps.
First, add the largest increment possible to your serial number (25,000
+ 2,147,483,647 =3D 2,147,508,647). If the number you come up with is
larger than 4,294,967,295 (the largest 32-bit value), you'll have wrap
around to the beginning of the number space by subtracting 4,294,967,296
from it. After changing the serial number, you must wait for all of your
secondaries to pick up a new copy of the zone. Second, change the zone
serial number to its target value (1), which is now larger than the
current serial number (2,147,508,647). After the secondaries pick up a
new copy of the zone, you're done!=20

Mike S