sub domain for ddns - resolving

Vernon A. Fort vfort at provident-solutions.com
Tue May 10 13:39:31 UTC 2005

I have successfully configured an internal name server to allow for ddns
for my dynamic ip address (dhcpd), both forward and reverse within
separate files.  My initial intension was to keep the primary/static
hosts within a manually editable file.  Unfortunately, I discovered you
cannot push out a Search List to the workstations via dhcpd AFTER I got
well into the setup.  I have googled and read several posts with similar
issues but no conclusions.

DETAIL:
       primary domain:      mysite.int with "20.168.192.in-addr.arpa"
       secondary domain:   ddns.mysite.int with
"20.168.192.ddns.in-addr.arpa"

  So, how does one have the ddns sub-domain assigned to the Workstation
resolve hosts entries within the primary domain.  As I understand, named
is NOT a resolver, it just returns answers to the query from the
workstation?

  What I need is the workstation host (wkst01.ddns.mysite.int) to
resolve serverone (serverone.mysite.int) without the FQDN.

      1.  Is there something I missed, similar to the $GENERATE
statement for the in-addr.arpa
       2.  Run Dual name server, the sub-domain forwarding to the primary?

Or should I just scrap the sub-domain idea and just have everything
within two zone files, using nsupdate to add/modify/remove?  I have
already invested 12 hours, most of it reading.  I know this has been
asked several times but I have not found any firm conclusion.  Some
advise PLEASE!

Vernon