Bind 9 strict zones

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Wed May 4 20:07:12 UTC 2005

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 05/04/2005 02:09:51 PM:
> Hello, we are upgrading our DNS server from BIND 8 to 9 but we have
> noticed that we have some issues with our zone configuration.  We see
> that if we had a zone called db.bar with entries for bar.net and
> foo.bar.net everything is fine but if we had a 4th level record in the
> same zone this is no longer valid in BIND9 and we would need a
> seperate zone.  I know this is the correct way to do this but is there
> a work so we could have bar.net and foo.bar.net AND test.foo.bar.net
> in the bar.net zone?
> So is there a way to do the following within the same zone in BIND 9?
> localhost       IN      A       127.0.0.1
> @                 IN      A       192.168.1.1
> www             IN      A       192.168.1.1
> foo                IN      A        192.168.1.2
> test.foo.bar    IN      A       192.168.1.3

If this is the zone database file for bar.net then perhaps the last RR
should be:

test.foo        IN      A       192.168.1.3

Also, the first RR for localhost is probably not required.

By the way, what is the exact error you are getting that indicates named
is not loading the zone?

Also, you may want to post your actual zone db file.

thanks,

dave...