Windows Server 2003 acting as a master for BIND 9.3.1

tony.blair at uk.com tony.blair at uk.com
Wed May 4 12:15:39 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm having problems with Bind 9.3.1 acting as a slave with a Windows
Server 2003 master

I've spent the last few days trawling through google and archives
without much luck (for some bizarre reason most sites assume i'm
upgrading to Microsoft not integrating with!), so am posting here now
in the hope that someone can offer a pointer.

The problem is that when I request that bind makes a new zone transfer
(AXFR), it doesn't always happen. The same problem occurs when using
dig. If I leave bind running then sometimes within 40 minutes or so it
will sucessfully make a transfer, but not always.

Looking at the Windows Server 2003 system log, the bind box does
actually try and make the request and windows does reply. Looking at
syslog on the bind box it makes the request, but times out recieving an
answer.

Using nslookup on the Windows box works, as does from other windows
machines on the network. I haven't set the Windows Server machine to
restrict access to certain IPs, and it's config is pretty standard (it
was a fresh install a couple of days ago)

I'm 99% sure this isn't a firewalling or physical connection issue
(both boxes are on the same 100mbit LAN). I did read somewhere that it
might be due to Windows Server not being able to resolve the IP of the
bind box, so I added an entry to it's DNS and ran nslookup on the
machine manually to make sure it had it in it's DNS cache, which didn't
help.

I've taken some packet dumps with ethereal whilst attempting an AXFR
that I can post if it helps.

Many thanks