slave server does not reload

bob prohaska bp at fib.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue May 3 03:23:16 UTC 2005

Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:

>        If you want to force the slave to use refresh earlier than
>        it would normally do then use "rndc refresh" which requires
>        a zone to be specified or the extended "rndc reload" where
>        you specify the zone to reload.  A plain "rndc reload" does
>        not cause the slaves to be refreshed as it would create an
>        enmourmous traffic spike (self DoS) on large (many zones)
>        nameservers.

In fact (sigh) I made most if not all the errors you listed, some
more thoroughly than you might guess 8-) and in different order.

The lack of any error message to "rndc reload" without arguments
on the slave was the key to my bafflement; If the slave rndc had
replied, as most *nix programs do, with a synopsis of the required
arguments the mistake would have been obvious.

Thanks for your guidance,

bob prohaska