Zone file generation configuration

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue May 3 00:09:26 UTC 2005

jeff donovan wrote:

>greetings all
>
>I'm looking for a way to speed up / Automate my record creation.
>
>First, is there any way to create zone files for larger than Class C
>254 addresses ? I have multiple internal Class B's, and the file
>creation takes for ever.
>i would love to be able to create a zone "10.10.in-addr.arpa"
>list all my reverse records
>and have a massive forward file.
>
>Is this possible? right now i have to create duplicate and grep, and I
>can't believe there is not an easier way.
>
>comments info flames welcome

I guess I don't understand how you are generating your zone files. Are
you using "h2n" to generate your zone files from /etc/hosts, or
something like that? Or are you extracting information out of some sort
of IP Address Management (IPAM) system to generate your zone files? I'm
not sure we can help you with any of that, since /etc/hosts and IPAM
systems are technically off-topic for this group/list.

The most efficient way I know of to manage DNS data that changes only
incrementally, with BIND, is to use Dynamic Update (e.g. the nsupdate
command-line utility, the Dynamic Update capabilities of the Net::DNS
Perl module, etc.) for the changes. This also has the benefits of being
capable of remote updating, securable via TSIG (or GSS-TSIG if you have
a modified version of BIND that supports it), and never requiring a
nameserver reload or the manual increment of a zone serial number. If
you can get "delta"s from your information source, instead of whole
database extracts/dumps, then maybe you can streamline things a lot by
translating those deltas into batches of Dynamic Updates. Of course,
there are some downsides of Dynamic Update too, e.g. making your zone
files incompatible with manual edits (unless you can tolerate pausing
the whole nameserver while those manual edits are being made), requiring
that the "named" process have write permission to the zone files and/or
zone-file directory, and ceding a certain amount of control over the
format of your zone serial numbers (it is possible to update the serial
numbers periodically via Dynamic Update in order to force them into a
particular format, but it's fairly awkward).

- Kevin