DNS letting computers know what they're supposed to do!

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon May 2 23:36:45 UTC 2005

In article <d55ttg$6pe$1 at sf1.isc.org>, binary-nomad at hotmail.com wrote:

> How's it going everyone,
>

> Is it possible for DNS to communicate to a server that it just served a
> request for, as to what domain it was that was being queried?
> I.e. if groovygoogle.com points to say, 232.65.12.88, and I ftp to
> groovygoogle.com, is there any way for the ftp server on 232.65.12.88
> to know that the request was for "groovygoogle.com", instead of any
> other domain it might be serving?

Not with standard BIND, but the source is available.

But caching is likely to cause problems for this strategy, since DNS
request might have been satisfied by a caching server outside of your
control.  Also, it seems to me that you'd want to tell it "x.x.x.x just
looked up groovygoogle.com, so do the right thingwhen you get a
connection from that address".  The problem is that client machines
usually go through a local or ISP resolver, so the FTP connection won't
come from the same address as the DNS lookup.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA