Is caching necessary?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon May 2 20:58:36 UTC 2005

Brad Knowles wrote:

>At 11:45 PM -0400 2005-04-29, Kevin Darcy wrote:
>

>> The only legitimate reason for forwarding to a central cache, when one
>> has the option available to query Internet nameservers directly, is if
>> the constellation of local network topology, query patterns, TTL values,
>> etc. happen to all align so as to make your average and/or worst-case
>> query latency better that way.
>>

>	No, there's another legitimate reason.  When you have a business
>need to guarantee that all internal servers see the same answers for
>a given question (modulo TTLs), but you can't point all those servers
>directly at a single caching/recursive server.
>
>	For example, at AOL I had a problem where mail would come in from
>a given sender to a given recipient via one particular server, and
>everything would work fine.  However, mail from the same sender to
>the same recipient via a different server would find different
>information in the DNS (perhaps the delegation was broken, or there
>was a lame server, or somesuch), and we would end up rejecting the
>message.
>
>	Try doing that with ten million users, handling tens of millions
>of messages per day, and even if this kind of thing only has a
>one-in-a-thousand chance of happening, that means you have a very
>large number of extremely irate customers who are all looking to use
>explosive devices in new and creative ways.
>

>	Performance is one valid reason where forwarding may be used, but
>there are others.

Perhaps I should have qualified that as "The only legitimate technical
reason ...". What you describe sounds more like a user-expectation
problem, not really a techinical issue _per_se_. It is a well-known
technical fact that DNS data propagates unevenly to different parts of
the Internet infrastructure at different times.

- Kevin