DNS letting computers know what they're supposed to do!

binary-nomad at hotmail.com binary-nomad at hotmail.com
Mon May 2 16:49:43 UTC 2005

How's it going everyone,

Is it possible for DNS to communicate to a server that it just served a
request for, as to what domain it was that was being queried?
I.e. if groovygoogle.com points to say, 232.65.12.88, and I ftp to
groovygoogle.com, is there any way for the ftp server on 232.65.12.88
to know that the request was for "groovygoogle.com", instead of any
other domain it might be serving?

(WITHOUT taking advantage of any stuff the higher level protocols like
FTP may provide, it must be a stack-level OR a software-level thing, if
you know what I mean).

Cheers!

Ze Knowmad.