Directive $GENERATE more than 256 how?

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon May 2 07:45:35 UTC 2005

> Dear bind-users,
>
> Please help me to find how I can generate more than 256 names by using
> directive $GENERATE?
>
> One of the most popular examples show me:
>
> $GENERATE 65-126 $ CNAME $.64/26
>
> or
>
> $GENERATE 1-256 $ CNAME $/24
>
> But I really need generate more than 16000, i.e xx.xx.NN.NN
>
> GURU or DEVELOPERD - my ask is HOW it possible to do this?
>
> Very thanks in advance...
>
> ---
> Best regards,
> Victor / ut1wpr
> mailto:vgol at polynet.lviv.ua

	The real question is why you want to?  Just delegate each of
	the x.y.z.in-addr.arpa entries.  You can use $GENERATE to do
	that.

	e.g.
		$GENERATE 64-127 $ NS <namesever1>.
		$GENERATE 64-127 $ NS <namesever2>.

	If you really need to have all the PTR records in one zone

		$GENERATE 64-127 $ DNAME $.<other zone>.

	The later is only supported by BIND 9.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC