Multiple PTR records pointing to same IP address with different name

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Mar 30 00:31:48 UTC 2005

BIJU KURIAN wrote:

>Is there any solution to create multiple reverse lookup PTR records
>pointing to same IP address with different hostname..?
>
>For Eg: I have got 32.69.10.in-addr.arpa.db
>
>10              IN      PTR     test.testdomain.com
>
>Can I have another PTR record pointing to same IP address with
>different hostname like
>10              IN      ????  test1.testdomain.com

It's legal to do that, but kind of pointless. No regular application or
system utility looks beyond the first PTR record in the response.

Also, if you go down this path, you could end up making the mistake that
many people have, namely having RRsets numbering in the dozens or
hundreds, which overflow the maximum size of a DNS UDP packet, and thus
trigger TCP retries, causing resource problems, firewall issues, etc.

                                                                  - Kevin